Monday, April 29, 2013

elephant and piggie

Mo Willems is my favorite children's author.  He is very popular for his pigeon books (which are fabulous), but I love him even more for his less popular Elephant and Piggie books.

They. Are. Hilarious.

They're about a cautious, worrisome elephant named Gerald and his silly, adventurous best friend Piggie.  I have never seen my kindergarten class laugh so hard.  They literally fight over who gets to pick these books for their book boxes.  There are around 20 Elephant and Piggie books, and every one I've seen is hilarious.  But these are a few of my favorites.  (Click the captions to find them on Amazon.)


We Are in a Book!


Today I Will Fly!


Are You Ready to Play Outside?


The best thing about these books is that they're hilarious to read out loud, but they're also on a first grade reading level.  So even some of my high kindergarteners can read them by themselves.  They're retail $8.99, but they're all $5.61 on Amazon (hardcover!).  So pretty much every time I order something, I throw in a couple of these books too.

And then you should see how much my 6 year olds squeal when I carry a new one into class.

4 comments:

thehappyteapot said...

I LOVE those books too! I have only seen a few of them, but they are wonderful. So glad to see someone else with so much enthusiasm for good literature!

Suzanne said...

Hi, Erin! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today so that I could check yours out, too! I'm also a teacher, but I teach 2nd grade, so these may not be as appropriate. They sounds so cute, though! I believe I've read a few of his before, but none of the ones you've posted here. I'll have to check them out. ;)

Rebecca Jo said...

Love that... its books like this that makes kids WANT to read :)

I'll have to check them out for my little loved ones :)

Brewed Together said...

These books look like so much fun! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com