Tuesday, April 30, 2013

apple pie

Apple pie is suppose to be an American staple, right?  But somehow I had never made one until a couple years ago.  I wasn't sure where to start, so I found a recipe online, did some altering, and ended up with this recipe.  It's now one of my favorites!  (It's even better with homemade pie crust!)


My apple pie from Thanksgiving last year.



Apple Pie
Ingredients:
  • pastry for 9 inch double pie crust
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 6-7 granny smith apples - peeled, cored, sliced


Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter in a saucepan.  Stir in flour to form a paste.  Add water, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce temperature and let simmer.  Place bottom crust in pie plate.  (You can brush egg whites on bottom crust to prevent sogginess.)  Mix apple slices with liquid mix, then pour into pie plate.  (Save out a little of the liquid to brush on top crust.)  Cover pie with lattice work of crust.  Brush top crust with the liquid mix for crispness.  Bake for around one hour, until apples are soft.

2 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

apple pie is my favorite over ANY dessert! YUM!!!

Look at how pretty you made yours too!!! I'm impressed!

Kelly @ makingmaynardmemories said...

My husband LOVES apple pie and I am *trying* to like it because he does. That looks amazing!